SOHO : Small Office Home Office
Freeware - Opensource software tips, tricks, tweaks & fixes for managing, securing, improving the performance of SOHO Desktop, Laptop, Networks

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Add user to mysql, commandline method


Solution: Here's an example of what I did recently to (a) create a new MySQL database and then (b) add a new MySQL user account to work with that database. As usual, the database name, username, and password have been changed.
First, from my Unix prompt, I log into my MySQL database with the mysql command line client:
unix> mysql -u root -p
(here I enter 'my_root_password' to get through the mysql prompt)

Next, I create my new MySQL database with the "create database" command:
mysql> create database my_database;
And now I create a MySQL user account, giving the user account all the priviliges it needs to "own" this database, with the MySQL grant command. Note that I assign both the username and password when I add this MySQL user:
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES 
       ON my_database.* 
       TO 'my_user'@'localhost'
       IDENTIFIED BY 'my_password' 
       WITH GRANT OPTION;
Of course you can put that entire MySQL GRANT command on one line; I just put it on multiple lines here so it would be easier to read. Using this GRANT command is how you create a MySQL user account.
Update: Please see the Comments section below for an additional "MySQL add user" example that uses the "MySQL grant" command.

Note about this MySQL user account and "localhost"

It's important to note when I create this MySQL user, I'm giving the user access to this MySQL database from the computer system known as "localhost". This works fine when you're accessing this database with this new MySQL user account from the local computer system, but if you're going to access this database from another computer system, you'll need to specify the IP address of that remote system here instead of "localhost".

No comments:

Post a Comment